Software Engineering Consultant, June 2021 - Present
Senior Software Engineer, March 2014 - June 2021
- Lead developer of a team working on continual improvements to an in-house policy administration system.
- Assisted migrating a legacy JSF application to an AngularJS 1.8 SPA.
- Helped create a HATEOAS-driven REST API using Spring Boot with Spring Data. Subsequently led the effort to build documentation using Spring REST Docs to guarantee the API is always accurately documented.
- Architected a high-performance AngularJS framework to quickly and accurately create hundreds of business entities by uploading spreadsheets of data, saving clients time and resources when entering an insured's information into our system.
- Served as Scrum Master for a team composed of developers, business analysts, and test analysts. Also worked on a company-wide pilot program to help spread agile across the corporation by defining best practices, sharing successes, and discussing lessons learned.
- Participated in organization-wide development standards meetings to help move team and enterprise best practices forward. Also facilitated large group discussions and presented on several technical topics to developers across the company to help drive culture shift toward knowledge sharing between teams.
- Served as mentor and technical leader to developers of varying skill levels and experience across multiple teams both on and off-shore.
Programmer Analyst II, May 2011 - March 2014
- Member of a project tasked to replace a legacy policy administration system with Guidewire PolicyCenter.
- Implemented an efficient tool to extract, store, and version ISO XML electronic rating content into SQL Server databases using Hibernate. Subsequently, designed and developed an extensible Java API to update and retrieve the rating content for several consumers.
- Constructed an application that interacted with several external vendors to enable real-time ordering, storage, and retrieval of experience rating data.
- Developed an enterprise integration that synchronized agent and agency licensing information from an internal web service to a running policy administration system.
- Wrote significant logic to automate several manual user workflows that kept data synchronized between key entities, which resulted in a higher level of system data integrity and a superior user experience.
- Designed and implemented the refactoring of major entities in a production code base to allow for greater code reuse throughout the project’s lifecycle.
- Responsible for performing monthly code base merges from a production system and testing existing functionality.
Student Programmer, February 2010 - May 2011
- Part of a Revenue Integrity team that tracked payment progress from more than sixty insurance companies sending payments on behalf of over one million patients that visit The University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics each year.
- Developed and supported efficient user-centered software for tracking hospital finances for more than four million patient charges a year.
- Developed logic that systematically handled 60% of each analyst’s potential workload, greatly impacting a team of analysts who had identified and collected over $25 million between 2005 and 2010.
- Provided hands-on training and technical assistance to a group of analysts who used our software on a daily basis.
- Created informative reports using metrics collected from applications showing where analysts could better focus their efforts.
Charity Hackathon Volunteer, 2017 - Present
- Helped nonprofits build various tools and websites to assist them in helping others across Central Iowa.